Re: VS2022: Support Visual Studio 2022 on Windows

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Hans Buschmann <buschmann(at)nidsa(dot)net>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: VS2022: Support Visual Studio 2022 on Windows
Date: 2021-11-24 10:00:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi

On Wed, Nov 24, 2021 at 9:12 AM Hans Buschmann <buschmann(at)nidsa(dot)net> wrote:

> Hello Michael,
>
> thanks for your hard work and quick response!
> It is very convenient to only use VS2022 for Windows from now on...
>
> >Diff unrelated to your patch.
>
> Sorry for the copysoft problem from the first version.
>
> >Glad to see that we should have nothing to do about locales this
> >time. I have not tested, but I think that you covering all the areas
> >that need a refresh here. Nice work.
>
> I think it is almost impossible to overestimate the value of such support
> from experienced hackers to others starting their journey right now...
>
> I hope I can motivate you (and other experienced hackers) to give me some
> more support on my real project arriving anytime soon. It addresses
> hex_encoding (and more) targetting mostly pg_dump, but requires also some
> deeper knowledge of general infrastructure and building (also on Windows).
> Stay tuned!
>
> PS: Does anybody have good relations to EDB suggesting them to target
> VS2022 as the build environment for the upcoming PG15 release?

That would be me...

> postgres=# select version ();
> version
> PostgreSQL 14.1, compiled by Visual C++ build 1931, 64-bit
> (1 row)

It's extremely unlikely that we'd shift to such a new version for PG15. We
build many components aside from PostgreSQL, and need to use the same
toolchain for all of them (we've had very painful experiences with mix n
match CRT versions in the past) so it's not just PG that needs to support
VS2022 as far as we're concerned - Perl, Python, TCL, MIT Kerberos,
OpenSSL, libxml2, libxslt etc. are all built with the same toolchain for
consistency.

--
Dave Page
Blog: https://pgsnake.blogspot.com