Re: [pgAdmin][RM6130] React based framework for properties dialog and port Server Group, Server and Database dialogs

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Aditya Toshniwal <aditya(dot)toshniwal(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [pgAdmin][RM6130] React based framework for properties dialog and port Server Group, Server and Database dialogs
Date: 2021-06-17 13:56:35
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi

On Thu, Jun 17, 2021 at 11:01 AM Aditya Toshniwal <
aditya(dot)toshniwal(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi Hackers,
>
> Attached patch marks the beginning of migrating properties dialog/tab to
> React based code, which is easy to maintain, performant and testable using
> automation.
> Patch includes:
> - Framework for creating React based dynamic form view out of a
> pre-defined UI schema. Previously, it was based on Backform/Backbone.
> - The new framework and components will use MaterialUI as base.
> Previously, Bootstrap/Backform/jQuery components were used.
> - The new code uses JSS instead of CSS since material ui and most modern
> React libraries also use JSS. In future, this will allow us to change
> the theme in real-time without refresh.
> - 90% code covered by 80-85 new jasmine test cases.
> - Server group node UI Schema migration to new, with schema test cases.
> - Server node UI Schema migration to new, with schema test cases.
> - Database node UI Schema migration to new, with schema test cases.
> - Few other UI changes.

Nice!

> PS: Until all the nodes are migrated, this will not go in the main branch.

Yeah, how are we going to manage this? I agree with building it out in a
branch until we have full coverage of the dialogues, but I'm concerned that
it'll become a merge nightmare. Though, I guess we aren't touching the
dialogues much for other things right now, so maybe not.

--
Dave Page
Blog: https://pgsnake.blogspot.com

EDB: https://www.enterprisedb.com