Re: pgAdmin 3.0 builds

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Sandeep Thakkar <sandeep(dot)thakkar(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Syed Fahar Abbas <fahar(dot)abbas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgAdmin 3.0 builds
Date: 2018-04-16 19:11:37
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi

On Monday, April 16, 2018, Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org> wrote:

> Re: Dave Page 2018-04-12 <CA+OCxoy=
> h+uN4Pym7PQN+UuzJMeLmRAzjXpUrR6btsqaJa-Wnw(at)mail(dot)gmail(dot)com>
> QtWebEngine,
> > > and
> > >
> > > This would need more testing anyway.
> > >

> > Should be pretty straightforward - in RPM terms it's a one-line change to
> > remove a "Requires" line from the spec file. Updates to the other
> > dependency packages will almost certainly take a lot more time
> > unfortunately.
>
> The python part is causing headaches - the move from flask-babel to
> flask-babelex is hurting because that's not available in Debian, and
> the move as such is controversial:
> https://github.com/mattupstate/flask-security/issues/715

Hmm, we had to update as flask_babel isn’t working with modern versions of
Babel.

> At the moment this looks like a huge time sink to package.

Can flask_babelex be built as a private package and installed in the
pgAdmin web/ directory? That’s what Devrim does with a bunch of the dips
for the RPMs.

Another option which may be a lot easier in the long run would be to not
use the packaged python reps at all, and create a single dependency package
that is basically a Python virtual envy used just by pgAdmin. I know it’s
not ideal from a packaging purists perspective, but my view is that it’s
better the users have the tools they want than the packaging follows the
letter of the rule book.

Thanks!

--
Dave Page