Re: Password setting having somewhat bizarre results.

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Dinesh Kumar <dinesh(dot)kumar(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>, John Foelster <johnfoelster(at)comcast(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Password setting having somewhat bizarre results.
Date: 2013-08-30 09:01:16
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 6:07 PM, Dinesh Kumar <dinesh(dot)kumar(at)enterprisedb(dot)com
> wrote:

> i Dave,
>
> On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 8:32 AM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
>

>> On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 4:28 PM, Dinesh Kumar <
>> dinesh(dot)kumar(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

>>> i Dave,

>>> Thanks for your inputs. In the current implementation, if the "calender
>>> control" doesn't have a proper value, then we do add "infinity" to the sql
>>> statement. It's the same case, in the edit/creating a role.
>>>
>>> I am not sure, whether we need to follow this implementation or not. I
>>> mean, adding "infinity" to the end of sql statement if the calender control
>>> value is an empty.
>>>
>>> But, i have removed this "infinity" condition and attaching the patch.
>>>

>> Infinity is correct, but:
>>
>> - The SQL to set it should only be generated if the user has opened the
>> dialogue and removed any existing value. If the role is already set to
>> infinite expiration, then it shouldn't be set again.
>>
>> - Obviously this requires the ability to clear that value, and to display
>> is as a blank value in the event that you create a new role (it should
>> default to infinity) or if opening an existing role that is already set
>> that way.
>>
>> If the control doesn't allow you to clear the value, then maybe we need
>> to add a checkbox for infinite, and when un-checked, the user is able to
>> select a date and time, otherwise not.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> Thanks for the suggestions. Please find the attached the patch for the
> same.
>
> Let me know if i miss anything here.
>
> Thanks in advance.

OK, that seems much better, but unfortunately still not quite perfect. I
spot two issues:

- Changing the time, but not the date, on an existing expiration datetime,
doesn't generate SQL and enable the OK button. Changing just the date does.

- If I clear the date and time, SQL is not generated to reset the valid
until time to infinity.

Thanks.

--
Dave Page