Re: User account and settings storage in other database than SQLite

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Peter Palka <ppalka(at)cmcrc(dot)com>
Cc: pgAdmin Support <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: User account and settings storage in other database than SQLite
Date: 2018-05-04 08:27:16
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi

On Fri, May 4, 2018 at 4:28 AM, Peter Palka <ppalka(at)cmcrc(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> According to SQLite load: just speculation.
>
> According to not supporting Postgres user data storage in Postgres client:
> well, in this case the container looks more like nice flavour rather than
> reliable solution. Every time I will kill the docker container or there
> will be failure the user data will be lost. It will be good to at least
> mount SQLite user database as an external volume (and mention it in docker
> hub).

There are two examples on the docker hub page, and the second describes
exactly that:

====
Run a TLS secured container using a shared config/storage directory in
/private/var/lib/pgadmin on the host:

docker pull dpage/pgadmin4
docker run -p 443:443 \
-v "/private/var/lib/pgadmin:/var/lib/pgadmin" \
-v "/path/to/certificate.cert:/certs/server.cert" \
-v "/path/to/certificate.key:/certs/server.key" \
-e "PGADMIN_DEFAULT_EMAIL=user(at)domain(dot)com" \
-e "PGADMIN_DEFAULT_PASSWORD=SuperSecret" \
-e "PGADMIN_ENABLE_TLS=True" \
-d dpage/pgadmin4
====

They important line is the first -v option which maps the config directory
to the host under docker (you could of course do something similar with a
PVC under Kubernetes/OpenShift, but I don't have a recipe for that).

To make it production ready it should be able to handle connection to
> external database.

I always chuckle when I hear things like that; "to make it production ready
you need feature X", though I grant you it's usually for much more trivial
(and often questionable) features than you're requesting. That said; whilst
it's been suggested that we use an external DB instead of SQLite and it's
certainly possible, I can recall just a couple of requests for it since our
first release, neither of which had any concrete need for it beyond
essentially "we think this will be a good idea", which means it's almost
certainly going to be a low priority tasks compared to many of the other
things on the todo list. Please do add a feature request to the tracker
though (https://redmine.postgresql.org/projects/pgadmin4/issues/new) for
future consideration. If you want to work on it yourself, we'll certainly
support that.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com