Re: pgAdmin 4 ignores its own config option: "BrowserCommand"

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: tutiluren(at)tutanota(dot)com
Cc: Pgadmin Support <pgadmin-support(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgAdmin 4 ignores its own config option: "BrowserCommand"
Date: 2019-08-13 09:22:11
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi

On Thu, Aug 8, 2019 at 8:44 PM <tutiluren(at)tutanota(dot)com> wrote:

> Okay, so after 30 million years of searching and reading and swearing and
> cursing, I've finally found the "BrowserCommand" configuration directive.
> So I set my C:\Program Files (x86)\pgAdmin 4\v4\web\config_local.py to:
>
> MASTER_PASSWORD_REQUIRED=False
> BrowserCommand="C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -p "pgAdmin"
> --no-remote "%URL%"

BrowserCommand is not part of the core of pgAdmin, it's part of the desktop
runtime which has a separate set of config options. This is documented at
https://www.pgadmin.org/docs/pgadmin4/4.11/desktop_deployment.html#runtime

> But when I then click the pgAdmin 4 start icon ("C:\Program Files
> (x86)\pgAdmin 4\v4\runtime\pgAdmin4.exe"), it *still* opens Firefox
> (default browser) with the DEFAULT profile. In other words, it ignores my
> BrowserCommand, which tells it to open the URL in the "pgAdmin" profile,
> which I've spent significant efforts setting up just for pgAdmin 4, so that
> I can finally use the program without being constantly harassed for
> passwords and losing all my work whenever Firefox needs to be restarted.
>
> And no, there is nothing wrong with the command itself; I use it with
> other profiles. But pgAdmin is clearly ignoring it. What's wrong?
>
> Also, MASTER_PASSWORD_REQUIRED is undocumented on
> https://www.pgadmin.org/docs/pgadmin4/4.11/desktop_deployment.html , and
> doesn't use the same format (it would be MasterPasswordRequired if it were
> to follow the style of the other options)... What's up with that?

See above. Different technologies, with their own configs conforming to
their own standards.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com