Re: Complete PGADMIN4 installation instructions

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Zahid Rahman <zahidr1000(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, "pgadmin-support lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgadmin-support(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Complete PGADMIN4 installation instructions
Date: 2019-12-18 09:14:28
Lists: pgadmin-support pgsql-admin pgsql-novice

On Wed, Dec 18, 2019 at 12:42 AM Zahid Rahman <zahidr1000(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Software crisis averted.
> PGADMIN4 Complete working instructions.
>
> First I followed these instructions to download and install software
> https://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/ubuntu/
> only up to postgresql-server-dev-12. no further.

Not sure what that has to do with pgAdmin? Plus the PostgreSQL APT repo
most definitely contains the latest 12.1 release.

> Then I went to this website by googling sudo apt-get install pgadmin4
> apache
> https://www.tecmint.com/install-pgadmin-debian-10/ although I have ubuntu.
>

> copied and pasted the following code changing the email and password.
> To the one I put in when prompted for and while running command line
> sudo apt-get install pgadmin4 apache.
>
> Also if run this command: systemctl status apache2 then you can 'q'
> out of it to continue.
> THIS MAY NOT WORK: http://SERVER_IP/pgadmin4 OR http://localhost/pgadmin4
>
> Don't forget to stop service apache server. sudo systemctl stop apache2
> otherwise you will get a port clash with docker.
>
> then I went to website
> https://www.pgadmin.org/docs/pgadmin4/latest/container_deployment.html
>
> SO downloaded docker with snap. sudo snap install docker
>
> sudo docker pull dpage/pgadmin4
> sudo docker run -p 80:80 \
> -e 'PGADMIN_DEFAULT_EMAIL=user(at)domain(dot)com' \
> -e 'PGADMIN_DEFAULT_PASSWORD=SuperSecret' \
> -d dpage/pgadmin4
>
> ran sudo docker
> sudo docker run -p 80:80 -e 'PGADMIN_DEFAULT_EMAIL=
> zahidr1000(at)gmail(dot)com' -e 'PGADMIN_DEFAULT_PASSWORD=*******' -d
> dpage/pgadmin4
>
> Here is the KICKER. (not http://127.0.0.1/pgadmin4)
> go to browser and type http://127.0.0.1 and you will see the blue login
> screen prompting you for the
> above email and password.

That's certainly how you can deploy a pgAdmin container. Unless you
specifically want to use the container though, I would use the
Debian/Ubuntu packages, per the article you linked to above. We don't
maintain those directly though, so I'm not sure how accurate those
instructions are. It would probably help if you posted error messages etc.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company