Re: [Design update] Style guide for pgAdmin4

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Shirley Wang <swang(at)pivotal(dot)io>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [Design update] Style guide for pgAdmin4
Date: 2017-05-31 15:55:52
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Wed, May 31, 2017 at 2:27 PM, Shirley Wang <swang(at)pivotal(dot)io> wrote:

>> When you say "icon" here, are you talking about the combo box arrow, or
>> icons on the items themselves? The latter are often useful if you have
>> items of different types in the same list.
>>
>> I think we should have the combo box arrow, to show the user they don't
>> have to type if they don't want to.
>>

> I'm talking about the combo box arrow. I think that's fine, but in that
> case users shouldn't be able type, they should only be able to select from
> a group of options, like this:
>
> [image: options.png]
> From what I understand, the text field where a user can type in is for
> searching through options available to them. If we know that people tend to
> search by typing more than scrolling, we should use the precedent for type
> ahead dropdowns <https://twitter.github.io/typeahead.js/examples/>.

We are using a much older precedent - one used in Windows for 20+ years
(possibly other OSs too).

Remember that some of these combo boxes contain values that are specific to
the database object - the user may not know what to start typing, so the
arrow gives them a hint that they can get a list by clicking - or they can
type.

The real difference here is that we also include the x to allow the box to
be cleared, where Windows would add a blank option as the first thing in
the list typically.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com