Re: [pgAdmin][RM3782] Debugger title should show connection and object details

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Aditya Toshniwal <aditya(dot)toshniwal(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [pgAdmin][RM3782] Debugger title should show connection and object details
Date: 2019-06-12 08:23:57
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi

On Wed, Jun 12, 2019 at 7:03 AM Aditya Toshniwal <
aditya(dot)toshniwal(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi Hackers,
>
> Attached is the patch to add more information on connection details to
> debugger panel title and content title similar to Query Tool and View/Edit
> data.
> Adding the object name with arguments is not a good idea for the panel
> title, so I have kept to connection details similar to query tool. The
> content title will have all the details.
>
> Kindly review.

I think not having the function name in there is a big limitation.

With all this hacking going on, I think what we need to do is stop and make
this configurable as has been both requested by users and suggested by us.

I propose adding 2 preference options for each tab type. Each of these
would be a string with placeholders, one for the tab title, and one for the
tab tooltip. For example:

- Query Tool
* Placeholders: %DATABASE%, %SERVER%, %USERNAME%, %PORT%, %HOST%
* Tab title default: %DATABASE% on %SERVER%
* Tooltip title default: Query Tool: %DATABASE% on %USERNAME%(at)%SERVER%

- View Data
* Placeholders: %TABLE%, %SCHEMA%, %DATABASE%, %SERVER%, %USERNAME%,
%PORT%, %HOST%
* Tab title default: %SCHEMA%.%TABLE% in %DATABASE% on %SERVER%
* Tooltip title default: View/Edit Data: %SCHEMA%.%TABLE% in %DATABASE%
on %USERNAME%(at)%SERVER%

- Script
* Placeholders: %ACTION%, %OBJECT%, %SCHEMA%, %DATABASE%, %SERVER%,
%USERNAME%, %PORT%, %HOST%
* Tab title default: %ACTION% %SCHEMA%.%OBJECT% in %DATABASE% on %SERVER%
* Tooltip title default: %ACTION% Script: %SCHEMA%.%OBJECT% in %DATABASE%
on %USERNAME%(at)%SERVER%

- Debugger
* Placeholders: %FUNCTION_ARGS%, %FUNCTION_NOARGS%, %SCHEMA%, %DATABASE%,
%SERVER%, %USERNAME%, %PORT%, %HOST%
* Tab title default: %FUNCTION_NOARGS%.%OBJECT% in %DATABASE% on %SERVER%
* Tooltip title default: Debugger: %SCHEMA%.%FUNCTION_ARGS% in %DATABASE%
on %USERNAME%(at)%SERVER%

Or something like that. Thoughts?

--
Dave Page