Re: [pgAdmin4][runtime][patch]: Fix for RM#2679

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Neel Patel <neel(dot)patel(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [pgAdmin4][runtime][patch]: Fix for RM#2679
Date: 2017-11-21 09:06:48
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Tue, Nov 21, 2017 at 9:02 AM, Neel Patel <neel(dot)patel(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 8:20 PM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 1:10 PM, Neel Patel <neel(dot)patel(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Please find attached patch to fix RM#2679.
>>>
>>> *Issue:-*
>>> Getting started links does not open second time from "Dashboard" panel
>>> if User close runtime tab and open any URL again.
>>>
>>> *Analysis:-*
>>> As in runtime Qt application, when user defined "target=_new" then
>>> "createWindow" signal is called but when user close that new windows and
>>> again click on link then "createWindow" signal is not getting called so
>>> from user point view nothing will happen.
>>>
>>> *Solution:-*
>>> To make it work in both runtime and web application, changed "target"
>>> attribute to "_blank" so that "createWindow" signal will be called every
>>> time when user click on any link.
>>>

>> I think this is a partial workaround for the problem. We link to external
>> sites such as postgresql.org - what happens if that tries to open
>> something with target="_new"? It should be expected to work as well. I
>> think we need to fix the underlying problem, not try to work around it.
>>

> Yes. You are right. We can implement the actual underlying problem but
> curious to know the difference between "_blank" and "_new" target attribute.
>
> I didn't find any reference document for target attribute value "_new". I
> searched below links.
>
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Element/A#attr-target
>
> https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.web.ui.
> webcontrols.hyperlink.target(v=vs.110).aspx#Anchor_0
> Thoughts ?

Hmm, interesting. So, per the spec we should be using _blank - I'll commit
the patch to fix that.

That means that _new *should* work as any other named target - open it if
it doesn't exist and navigate within it.

In other words, I think we still have a bug here; using _new (much like
using, say, "foo") should still open a new tab if an earlier one has been
closed - much as a browser would.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com