Re: Large number of rows in pg_type and slow gui (pgadmin) refresh

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Robert Klaus <rklaus(at)nexgenwireless(dot)com>
Cc: pgAdmin Support <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Kevin Oleniczak <kevin(dot)oleniczak(at)nexgenwireless(dot)com>, srisahana <srisahana(dot)pidikiti(at)nexgenwireless(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Large number of rows in pg_type and slow gui (pgadmin) refresh
Date: 2013-01-07 16:39:33
Lists: pgadmin-support

On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 4:30 PM, Robert Klaus <rklaus(at)nexgenwireless(dot)com> wrote:
> I omitted the schemas that have most of the database objects, but the calls to pg_type do not seem to exclude this schema (user_maps).

Correct, it won't. pgAdmin doesn't know that you aren't using types
from a hidden schema in a visible one, thus it will always do an
unrestricted query on pg_type to populate the cache.

I'd have to question the wisdom of having so many tables (I assume
these are row datatypes) in a database - that seems like a design
that's destined to become troublesome.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com