Re: Password setting having somewhat bizarre results.

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Dinesh Kumar <dinesh(dot)kumar(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>, John Foelster <johnfoelster(at)comcast(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Password setting having somewhat bizarre results.
Date: 2013-08-30 15:28:18
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi

On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 4:18 PM, Dinesh Kumar <dinesh(dot)kumar(at)enterprisedb(dot)com
> wrote:

>> - Changing the time, but not the date, on an existing expiration
>> datetime, doesn't generate SQL and enable the OK button. Changing just the
>> date does.
>>

> Apologies Dave. I am not able to explain you the problem properly. But
> below are my findings.
>
> Further to my observation, it's not generating the event of
>
> EVT_SPIN(XRCID("timValidUntil"), dlgRole::OnChangeSpin)
>
> which is in pg_Roles.cpp. If the spin event occurs on spin button, then
> it's directly going to
> "EVT_SPIN_x" in timespin.cpp. And also, i have observed that
> wxTimeSpinCtrl is our custom data type which we have been derived from the
> wxControl class. That may be the reason the spin control event is directly
> refering to timespin.cpp's EVT_SPIN_x functions. I have fixed this issue
> by appending an dlgRole's event to timespin.cpp's event and it is working
> fine.
>
> Kindly let me know if anything is unclear.

OK, that seems reasonable. Did you check if it breaks any other usage of
that control?

I wonder if, for 1.20, we should think about adding a 3rd party (or
creating a new) datetime control that we can use universally.

>> - If I clear the date and time, SQL is not generated to reset the valid
>> until time to infinity.
>>

> If the role's "rolvaliduntil" property is NULL or infinity then there is
> no password expiration for that user/role. I believe, in your case the
> "rolvaliduntil" might be the NULL. Hence, it's not generating any "VALID
> UNTIL 'infinity'" since, NULL ~ infinity and also we haven't changed
> anything. In the rest of the cases, i believe it will generate as you
> suggested.
>
> Kindly let me know if i miss anything here.

Yeah, I think you misunderstood me:

1) Create a new role, and set VALID UNTIL to some value. Close the dialogue.

2) Open the properties dialogue, then clear the date/time fields. That
should cause the dialogue to attempt to set VALID UNTIL to infinity, but
doesn't.

Thanks.

--
Dave Page