Do all Postgres queries touch Shared_Buffers at some point?

From: Shiv Sharma <shiv(dot)sharma(dot)1835(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Do all Postgres queries touch Shared_Buffers at some point?
Date: 2013-12-29 12:05:24
Lists: pgsql-general

I am puzzled about the extent to which shared_bufferes is used for
different queries. Do _all_ queries "touch" shared buffers at some point
of their execution?

Many of our warehouse queries are seq_scan followed by HASH. I know
work_mem is assigned for HASH joins: but does this mean that these queries
never touch shared buffers at *all* during their execution? Perhaps they
are read into shared_buffers and then passed into work_mem HASH areas???

What about updates on big tables? What about inserts on big tables? What
about append-inserts?

I think I could get these answers from Explain Analyze Buffers but I am on
8.2 :-(

Please tell me which queries use/touch shared_buffers in general terms, or
please point me to documentation.

Shiv