Re: pgsql: Add more SQL/JSON constructor functions

From: Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: jian he <jian(dot)universality(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgsql: Add more SQL/JSON constructor functions
Date: 2024-07-30 04:59:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On Fri, Jul 26, 2024 at 11:19 PM jian he <jian(dot)universality(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 26, 2024 at 4:53 PM Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >

> > Pushed 0003-0005 ahead of 0001-0002. Will try to push them over the
> > weekend. Rebased for now.

Pushed them now.

> {
> /*
> * For expression nodes that support soft errors. Should be set to NULL
> * before calling ExecInitExprRec() if the caller wants errors thrown.
> */
> ErrorSaveContext *escontext;
> } ExprState;
>
> i believe by default makeNode will set escontext to NULL.
> So the comment should be, if you want to catch the soft errors, make
> sure the escontext pointing to an allocated ErrorSaveContext.
> or maybe just say, default is NULL.
>
> Otherwise, the original comment's meaning feels like: we need to
> explicitly set it to NULL
> for certain operations, which I believe is false?

OK, I'll look into updating this.

> struct
> {
> Oid targettype;
> int32 targettypmod;
> bool omit_quotes;
> bool exists_coerce;
> bool exists_cast_to_int;
> bool check_domain;
> void *json_coercion_cache;
> ErrorSaveContext *escontext;
> } jsonexpr_coercion;
> do we need to comment that "check_domain" is only used for JSON_EXISTS_OP?

I've renamed it to exists_check_domain and added a comment that
exists_* fields are relevant only for JSON_EXISTS_OP.

> json_behavior_type:
> ERROR_P { $$ = JSON_BEHAVIOR_ERROR; }
> | NULL_P { $$ = JSON_BEHAVIOR_NULL; }
> | TRUE_P { $$ = JSON_BEHAVIOR_TRUE; }
> | FALSE_P { $$ = JSON_BEHAVIOR_FALSE; }
> | UNKNOWN { $$ = JSON_BEHAVIOR_UNKNOWN; }
> | EMPTY_P ARRAY { $$ = JSON_BEHAVIOR_EMPTY_ARRAY; }
> | EMPTY_P OBJECT_P { $$ = JSON_BEHAVIOR_EMPTY_OBJECT; }
> /* non-standard, for Oracle compatibility only */
> | EMPTY_P { $$ = JSON_BEHAVIOR_EMPTY_ARRAY; }
> ;
>
> EMPTY_P behaves the same as EMPTY_P ARRAY
> so for function GetJsonBehaviorConst, the following "case
> JSON_BEHAVIOR_EMPTY:" is wrong?
>
> case JSON_BEHAVIOR_NULL:
> case JSON_BEHAVIOR_UNKNOWN:
> case JSON_BEHAVIOR_EMPTY:
> val = (Datum) 0;
> isnull = true;
> typid = INT4OID;
> len = sizeof(int32);
> isbyval = true;
> break;
>
> also src/backend/utils/adt/ruleutils.c
> if (jexpr->on_error->btype != JSON_BEHAVIOR_EMPTY)
> get_json_behavior(jexpr->on_error, context, "ERROR");

Something like the attached makes sense? While this meaningfully
changes the deparsing output, there is no behavior change for
JsonTable top-level path execution. That's because the behavior when
there's an error in the execution of the top-level path is to throw it
or return an empty set, which is handled in jsonpath_exec.c, not
execExprInterp.c.

> for json_value, json_query, i believe we can save some circles in
> ExecInitJsonExpr
> if you don't specify on error, on empty
>
> can you please check the attached, based on your latest attachment.

Perhaps makes sense, though I haven't checked closely. I'll take a
look next week.

--
Thanks, Amit Langote