Re: Question about maintenance_work_mem and shared_buffer

From: Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Rodrigo Barboza <rodrigombufrj(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Question about maintenance_work_mem and shared_buffer
Date: 2013-05-21 16:03:30
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 12:07 AM, Rodrigo Barboza
<rodrigombufrj(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Hi, everyone.
> I have a doubt.
> I have a 32-bit postrgesql running with 2.5gb of shared_buffer.
> And I have maintenance_work_mem = 1gb and autovacuum_max_workers = 3.
> How maintenance_work_mem is related to shared_buffer?

They are independent settings.

> If the 3 workers uses 1gb, will the database crash?

Documentation does warn about not setting it (maintenance_work_mem) too high:

"Note that when autovacuum runs, up to autovacuum_max_workers times
this memory may be allocated, so be careful not to set the default
value too high."

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/runtime-config-resource.html

--
Amit Langote