Re: A reloption for partitioned tables - parallel_workers

From: Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: "houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Seamus Abshere <seamus(at)abshere(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: A reloption for partitioned tables - parallel_workers
Date: 2021-03-02 02:23:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Mar 2, 2021 at 12:10 AM Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at> wrote:
> Here is an updated patch with this fix.

Thanks for updating the patch. I was about to post an updated version
myself but you beat me to it.

> I added regression tests and adapted the documentation a bit.
>
> I also added support for lowering the number of parallel workers.

+ALTER TABLE pagg_tab_ml SET (parallel_workers = 0);
+EXPLAIN (COSTS OFF)
+SELECT a FROM pagg_tab_ml WHERE b = 42;
+ QUERY PLAN
+---------------------------------------------------
+ Append
+ -> Seq Scan on pagg_tab_ml_p1 pagg_tab_ml_1
+ Filter: (b = 42)
+ -> Seq Scan on pagg_tab_ml_p2_s1 pagg_tab_ml_2
+ Filter: (b = 42)
+ -> Seq Scan on pagg_tab_ml_p2_s2 pagg_tab_ml_3
+ Filter: (b = 42)
+(7 rows)

I got the same result with my implementation, but I am wondering if
setting parallel_workers=0 on the parent table shouldn't really
disable a regular (non-parallel-aware) Append running under Gather
even if it does Parallel Append (parallel-aware)? So in this test
case, there should have been a Gather atop Append, with individual
partitions scanned using Parallel Seq Scan where applicable.

--
Amit Langote
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com