Re: Fwd: Problems with pg_stat_activity view

From: mgr inż(dot) Jacek Bzdak <jbzdak(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fwd: Problems with pg_stat_activity view
Date: 2013-11-03 20:05:21
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi,

I think that this bug would affect at least couple of other people, but I
agree it is not worth to change deep internal mechanisms just for it.

Maybe changing pg_stat_activity would break existing code, but only for
edge case where this code already behaves incorrectly (by missing existing
connections) --- for example pgAdminIII won't show connections in this
case!

Also using other query wouldn't introduce NULL columns to this view:

SELECT ..., CASE WHEN u.rolname IS NULL THEN 'pg_user_removed` ELSE
> u.rolname END, ... FROM ....;

This would break existing code only if they use this particular username,
which is not probable.

Other option I see is just to document two things:

1. How to drop connections connecting to database (there are several
questions on Stack Overflow regarding this, so it is worthwile )
2. Document this behaviour of pg_stat_activity.

I guess I could try to contribute these changes, but I'm not qualified to
decide whether they make sense.

PS. Sorry to be so persistent, but I spent this Friday afternoon and better
part of night chasing this bug!

jb:)