Find datatype of a column during the backend flow

From: Ishaya Bhatt <ishayabhatt(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Find datatype of a column during the backend flow
Date: 2013-11-09 15:27:26
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi,
In the sorting code, I need to determine the datatype of my sort keys
and call some code conditionally based on the datatype. Is there any way to
determine the datatype of a column from the backend PostGreSQL code. I am
aware of the methods PSQLexec() and PQftype() but am unable to figure out
how to call these functions from the backend. Any help on this or any other
method to determine datatype would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Ishaya Bhatt.