pgAmin III 1.18.0 docs.

From: Barry Gysbers <barrygysbers(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pgAmin III 1.18.0 docs.
Date: 2014-01-06 16:18:42
Lists: pgsql-docs

2014Jan07 07:56

Greetings!

I am an experienced database user/programmer. I am absolutely brand new to
PostgreSQL. I just downloaded 9.3.0 on 2013Oct01 and am finally getting
over my reluctance to learn a new system and taking a look at it. The file
was

postgresql-9.3.0-1-windows.exe

and this email refers to the documentation that came with that package.

I started reading the documentation today for pgAdmin III 1.18.0 as it
seems that I must use pgAdmin III in order to get any work done. I have
only read about a dozen pages before becoming overloaded. With the
exception of changing the passworld, I have no idea what I read means, nor
the significance of any of it. I would think that it would be more helpful
to either explain what you are expected to already know before being able
to use the documentation, or, (more skillfully), put links that explain
what each technical term means, and/or what relevance/consequence each
decision you make has.

Otherwise, I have no idea when or where I will ever run into that
particular jargon ever again, and the wondrous possibility that context
will suddenly make things clear that were obscure the first time around.

Mostly, I just wanted to point out that there are an absolutely incredible
number of typos on the very few pages that I have slogged through so far.
It is clear that nobody has read this documentation in ages, as it would be
impossible for any alert human being to miss them. I imagine that most of
them are a result of prior editing, and that the final result might
actually be better than the previous version of the documentation, but
there can be no excuse for failing to run any prepared text through a spell
checker, which would catch a large number of the typos.

I would be happy to provide at least some editing services as my
contribution to the project, (being absolutely ignorant of anything
actually useful), provided there was some guarantee that they would
actually be implemented or otherwise used.

I would have to be told exactly how to go about making changes in a way
that would be considered useful. I am guessing that merely submitting a
list of the text with typos and providing my suggested corrections would
likely not be input, as this work is very boring for most people.

Thanks for your consideration,

Barry Gysbers