set returning functions and resultset order

From: Ingmar Brouns <swingi(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: set returning functions and resultset order
Date: 2012-05-04 16:10:24
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi all,

I'm a bit confused about when exactly I can rely on the resultset order
when using set returning functions. The documentation states:

'After a query has produced an output table (after the select list has been
processed) it can optionally be sorted. If sorting is not chosen, the rows
will be returned in an unspecified order.'

So when taking this very literally, I would expect that you cannot rely on
the order of

SELECT * FROM generate_series(2,4);
generate_series
-----------------
2
3
4

I'm asking this because I'm writing queries similar to

SELECT string_agg(foo, '@') FROM regexp_split_to_table('1(at)2@3(at)4','@') foo;
string_agg
------------
1(at)2@3(at)4
(1 row)

and

SELECT generate_subscripts(regexp_split_to_array('bird(at)dog@cow(at)ant','@'),
1), regexp_split_to_table('bird(at)dog@cow(at)ant','@');
generate_subscripts | regexp_split_to_table
---------------------+-----------------------
1 | bird
2 | dog
3 | cow
4 | ant
(4 rows)

and need to know whether the order in these cases is guaranteed. Is there a
more general statement that could be made, something like:
If you use only set returning functions, and do not join their results,
then the returning order of the individual functions will be respected?

Thanks in advance,

Ingmar Brouns