Re: Use streaming read API in ANALYZE

From: Mats Kindahl <mats(at)timescale(dot)com>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Banck <mbanck(at)gmx(dot)net>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Melanie Plageman <melanieplageman(at)gmail(dot)com>, Nazir Bilal Yavuz <byavuz81(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, jakub(dot)wartak(at)enterprisedb(dot)com
Subject: Re: Use streaming read API in ANALYZE
Date: 2024-09-13 08:10:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Sep 10, 2024 at 6:04 AM Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 10, 2024 at 10:27 AM Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:
> > Mats, what do you think about
> > this? (I haven't tried to preserve the prefetching behaviour, which
> > probably didn't actually too work for you in v16 anyway at a guess,
> > I'm just looking for the absolute simplest thing we can do to resolve
> > this API mismatch.) TimeScale could then continue to use its v16
> > coding to handle the two-relations-in-a-trenchcoat problem, and we
> > could continue discussing how to make v18 better.
>
> . o O { Spitballing here: if we add that tiny function I showed to get
> you unstuck for v17, then later in v18, if we add a multi-relation
> ReadStream constructor/callback (I have a patch somewhere, I want to
> propose that as it is needed for streaming recovery), you could
> construct a new ReadSteam of your own that is daisy-chained from that
> one. You could keep using your N + M block numbering scheme if you
> want to, and the callback of the new stream could decode the block
> numbers and redirect to the appropriate relation + real block number.

I think it is good to make as small changes as possible to the RC, so agree
with this approach. Looking at the patch. I think it will work, but I'll do
some experimentation with the patch.

Just asking, is there any particular reason why you do not want to *add*
new functions for opaque objects inside a major release? After all, that
was the reason they were opaque from the beginning and extending with new
functions would not break any existing code, not even from the ABI
perspective.

> That way you'd get I/O concurrency for both relations (for now just
> read-ahead advice, but see Andres's AIO v2 thread). That'd
> essentially be a more supported version of the 'access the struct
> internals' idea (or at least my understanding of what you had in
> mind), through daisy-chained streams. A little weird maybe, and maybe
> the redesign work will result in something completely
> different/better... just a thought... }

I'll take a look at the thread. I really think the ReadStream abstraction
is a good step in the right direction.
--
Best wishes,
Mats Kindahl, Timescale