Re: Allow logical failover slots to wait on synchronous replication

From: John H <johnhyvr(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bertrand Drouvot <bertranddrouvot(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Allow logical failover slots to wait on synchronous replication
Date: 2024-07-18 21:22:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Bertrand,

> 1 ===
> That's worth additional comments in the code.

There's this comment already about caching the value already, not sure
if you prefer something more?

/* Cache values to reduce contention on lock */

> 2 ===
> Looks like setting initialized to true is missing once done.

Thanks, will update.

> 3 ===
> NUM_SYNC_REP_WAIT_MODE is small but as the goal is the keep the lock time as
> short as possible I wonder if it wouldn't be better to use memcpy() here instead
> of this for loop.

It results in a "Wdiscarded-qualifiers" which is safe given we take
the lock, but adds noise?
What do you think?

"slot.c:2756:46: warning: passing argument 2 of ‘memcpy’ discards
‘volatile’ qualifier from pointer target type
[-Wdiscarded-qualifiers]"

Thanks,

--
John Hsu - Amazon Web Services