FDW wrapper for clustered app management

From: Jerome Wagner <jerome(dot)wagner(at)laposte(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: FDW wrapper for clustered app management
Date: 2014-10-17 09:35:48
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

I am considering (postgres 9.3+) the idea of opening a R/W access into a
clustered application by creating one fdw server from a central database to
each server a cluster.

That would imply opening a port on each server inside the application,
listening for incoming connections from the database and this way all the
servers would become visible with R/W access.

Is that a sound idea or does it look horrible ? Would it be reasonable to
connect in this way to a cluster of 1, 10, 100, 1000 or more servers ?

is there an existing xxxx_fdw wrapper that would look like a good candidate
for such a direct access inside an application ? Then I would have to
implement the protocol corresponding to this xxxx_fdw inside my application.

Thank you for your feedback.
Jerome