Re: demystifying nested loop vs. merge join query plan choice

From: BladeOfLight16 <bladeoflight16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Sandeep Gupta <gupta(dot)sandeep(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: demystifying nested loop vs. merge join query plan choice
Date: 2013-08-01 23:50:13
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 10:25 AM, Sandeep Gupta <gupta(dot)sandeep(at)gmail(dot)com>wrote:

> @Jeff : Thanks for pointing this out. Turns out that was the case.
>
> @Tom: Thank you for the reference to random_page_cost parameters. It would
> be very useful for us. Would go through the rest of the documentation as
> well.

I can't say what Jeff mentioned; maybe he didn't reply to the user list.
Anyhow, sorry if this is repeating information.

I cannot help but point something glaring out in the EXPLAIN, though:

database 1:
Index Only Scan using tc_did_idx on tc (cost=0.00..1298125.32
rows=49987616 width=4)

database 2:
Index Only Scan using tc_did_idx on tc (cost=0.00..70.44 rows=3 width=4)

Maybe I just don't know how to read EXPLAIN plans, but it would appear that
the estimated rows from the index only scan in the two plans is different
by a factor of about 16.7 million. database 1 also processes about 7.7
million rows before the aggregate, where database 2 only processes about
1.3 million. For some reason, it appears that database 2 is able to
eliminate far more rows more quickly, resulting in a faster query. Have
both databases had VACUUM ANALYZE run on them? Are the statistics
collection settings the same?