point_ops with GiST PostGIS Spatial Index

From: BladeOfLight16 <bladeoflight16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostGIS Users Discussion <postgis-users(at)lists(dot)osgeo(dot)org>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: point_ops with GiST PostGIS Spatial Index
Date: 2013-06-05 18:28:36
Lists: pgsql-general

I posted this question on StackOverflow, and the only person to answer
recommended I ask these lists for more details and link to the question:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/16927331/postgresql-point-ops-with-gist-postgis-spatial-index

My question is:

The 9.0 release
notes<http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/release-9-0.html>for
PostgreSQL states the following change:

Add point_ops operator class for GiST (Teodor Sigaev)

This feature permits GiST indexing of point columns. The index can be used
for several types of queries such as point <@ polygon (point is in
polygon). This should make many PostGIS queries faster.

I have a very large table (millions of rows) with a
GEOMETRY(POINT,[SRID])column that I sometimes compare to polygons. Do
I need to do anything to
enable this when creating the index? Do I have to use the operator
indicated, or would this work with
ST_Contains<http://postgis.refractions.net/docs/ST_Contains.html>which
uses
&& internally?