Re: Staging Database

From: BladeOfLight16 <bladeoflight16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Luca Ferrari <fluca1978(at)infinito(dot)it>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Staging Database
Date: 2013-08-07 10:38:28
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 4:43 AM, Luca Ferrari <fluca1978(at)infinito(dot)it> wrote:

> Not really helpful, but here are my considerations.
> The low frequency and the preference for a single server suggest me a
> dump and restore cycle on two databases, assuming this is possible due
> to not high volume data.
> I would also consider some way of data partitioning in order to
> isolate the data that has to be pushed from staging into the master
> (you say data is only added or queried).
> The problem for replication is that both the staging and the master
> would be in read-write mode, so sounds to me like a multi-master
> setup

I wasn't very careful with my wording. Sorry about that. There will be
updates and possibly deletions as well as additions. Furthermore, the
public version would be read only, I believe. The client would be modifying
data, not end users. (It's a catalog site; the client is a non-profit
that's publishing information in their field.) You're right in guessing
that the data is not high volume.

A dump/restore does seem pretty logical. Replication might be complete
overkill. The part that makes it a little more difficult is managing
getting rid of the old database before restoring (and preferably, not
getting rid of the old DB unless the restore succeeds). The best way I can
think of to keep from doing all those steps manually would just be to write
a bash script, unless someone has better ideas.

Also, do not degrade your contributions. =) This is very helpful, even if
it's kind of vague due to the fact I'm not actually doing this yet. I'd
much rather already have a vague idea in mind when this comes up again than
to be totally unprepared. Thank you.