Inactive replication slots

From: Teja Jakkidi <teja(dot)jakkidi05(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Inactive replication slots
Date: 2022-06-20 19:12:47
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello Everyone,

I have a primary Postgres server with 2 standbys setup using streaming replication. Both the stand by servers are using the replication slots.
Today, when I checked the status of replication slots on primary, they are showing active= ‘f’. The data is replicating with no issues but when the slots are inactive I know that the wal files generated after the restart_lsn will not be deleted and retains the transactions, which is very critical.
I am not sure exactly why the slots are inactive and if there is a way to activate them back?
I tried restarting both primary and standby but sis not have any effect.

Thanks and Regards,
J. Teja Sri.