Re: pgAdmin Icon

From: Rob Napier <rob(at)doitonce(dot)net(dot)au>
To: Scott Bailey <artacus(at)comcast(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgAdmin Icon
Date: 2009-11-19 20:02:29
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Hmm

Sadly, the elephant is not an attractive icon and will always be a challenge
to reproduce.

I personally think that the PG elephant looks evil. Those beady eyes worry
me. :)

Compare it, for example, to the highly stylized but very attractive Java
icon.

I do agree with keeping the elephant. It has too much history and brand
awareness. But it needs to be more stylized. Is it worth getting ideas from
some of my designer clients? I would not want to approach them unless there
was a general willingness to change.

What are the benefits and disadvantages of changing? The benefits are clear
enough. For people publishing books, documentation, websites, etc. it would
create work and immediately date some material.

I am extremely nervous about considering doing a logo re-design with so many
people involved in the evaluation and review process but it¹s worth a shot.

But I don¹t see changing the logo has to be rushed. It would best be tied to
a major release (8.5?). And if it was to be introduced, all old versions
should be dropped completely. Also, can we come up with a design for Japan
that is the same as the rest of the world? The idea of having different
logos for the same product is odd.

It seems that there are two camps: Those for changing it and those for
staying the same. The Coca Cola and Ford logos are about 100 years old but
they still work. So change just for the sake of it makes no sense.

I suspect that the logos have not changed because the skills have not been
available to create something better. Is this the case or is it simply that
people really do like it the way it is?

On 20/11/09 5:23 AM, "Scott Bailey" <artacus(at)comcast(dot)net> wrote:

> Attached is my stab at it. If we don't like that, there are tons of
> icons at http://pgfoundry.org/docman/?group_id=1000089
>
> And the one of the front page of pgFoundry is nice too. It would need
> shrunk a bit.
> http://pgfoundry.org/images/elephantSmall.png

Regards

Rob Napier