Re: New mug design

From: Rob Napier <rob(at)doitonce(dot)net(dot)au>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum <adsmail(at)wars-nicht(dot)de>, <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New mug design
Date: 2009-11-17 13:03:04
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

It's my own fault for opening my big mouth. :(

I don't think there is anything wrong with a conventional coffee mug, as
long as the design is right. Thermos mugs are good but more expensive and,
at least in my experience, they get used less than a mug. Also, they are
usually alloy so they have problems with creating an image that stands out.

I'd like to see something clever/humorous.

I quite liked the statements that linked what is going into the mug to the
SQL statement. At least they were relevant.

The commit; is interesting but it begs the question: what?

I came up with an idea for a T shirt a while back and offered it to Josh. He
was not excited by the idea so I dropped it. I mention it again here as an
example only.

In essence, it was pushing the Œgeek¹ association which, by the way, is
perfectly fine on a coffee mug.

It would have a quote from http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/GEEK

> Geek
> (pronounced Gek)
>
> 1 : a carnival performer often billed as a wild man whose act usually includes
> biting the head off a live chicken or snake.
> 2 : a person often of an intellectual bent who is disliked.
> 3 : an enthusiast or expert especially in a technological field or activity
> e.g. PostgreSQL geek.

It works best in white text on black and would make a great shirt/badge.

There would be a small but strong PostgreSQL logo.

Perhaps I can get some of my clients in the design industry to come up with
some ideas.

They need ideas to kick start them. I can forward all of your discussions to
date and see what they can come up with.

How much time do we have?

On 17/11/09 11:36 PM, "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 12:16 PM, Rob Napier <rob(at)doitonce(dot)net(dot)au> wrote:
>> I saw the message from Josh where he said that it was hard to unload them.
>
> Which was followed by a bunch more saying they sell very well.
>
>> I didn't say that no one would want them. I'm just saying that I'd like to
>> see a serious attempt at good design.
>
> No problem with a new design and don't disagree with the other points
> you make. What can you come up with? Most of us PG enthusiasts have no
> design sense, so we need a little help :-) (seriously).

Regards

Rob Napier