Re: Building extensions against OpenSCG RPM packages

From: <Holger(dot)Friedrich-Fa-Trivadis(at)it(dot)nrw(dot)de>
To: <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Building extensions against OpenSCG RPM packages
Date: 2015-01-30 11:40:29
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thursday, January 29, 2015 10:14 PM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> On 01/29/2015 04:36 AM, Holger(dot)Friedrich-Fa-Trivadis(at)it(dot)nrw(dot)de wrote:
>> Hello list,
>> What are your experiences with OpenSCG's RPM packages?
[deletia]

> From what I gather it is static binary package built against libraries at a point in time in a distribution that may or may not be in exact sync with the
> distribution you are running. Which is fine when you run it by itself. Then you try to 'merge' it with a package that comes from another source.
> Most of the time the close enough rule will apply and things will work. When it does not you get the above. If you want less drama I would say
> stick with your distributions repo or use the Postgres RPM repo:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/redhat/
>
> Or, build from source.

Thanks for your reply, Adrian. We certainly opted for less drama and gave up on the OpenSCG packages.

I just wanted to know whether my "statistical sample" of OpenSCG packages may have been skewed, and other people maybe had better experiences with building stuff against the OpenSCG packages.

Holger Friedrich