Re: Local postgres manual

From: Philip Semanchuk <philip(at)americanefficient(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Ben Hancock <lists(at)benghancock(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-General <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Local postgres manual
Date: 2023-11-03 14:06:59
Lists: pgsql-general

> On Nov 3, 2023, at 9:45 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Nov 3, 2023 at 09:39:46AM -0400, Philip Semanchuk wrote:
>>
>> In addition to Bruce Momjian’s suggestion, I’ll add that you can make an HTML version of the manual from the source code. This is what I use and it works great for me.
>
> Yes, we can do HTML too as a single file, postgres.html. What I don't
> see is man page output for anything but the references pages, and as
> separate files. It might be possible to convert the HTML to man format
> using something like html2man.

Yes, ISTR there’s an all-in-one-page option, but the HTML that I built is in individual pages that mirror the organization on postgresql.org which works great for me. Sorry I don’t remember the exact command I used but it was very straightforward, nothing tricky at all. Maybe as simple as `make install-docs`?

Cheers
Philip