Re: Bug: --with-libxml does not take a location

From: J=?ISO-8859-1?B?9g==?=rg Beyer <Beyerj(at)students(dot)uni-marburg(dot)de>
To: <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Bug: --with-libxml does not take a location
Date: 2007-11-07 11:13:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Josh,

did you try to set XML2_CONFIG prior to ./configure?
I _am_ on Mac OS X 10.4.10, and using (in my particular case)

$ export XML2_CONFIG=/usr/local/bin/xml2-config

as well as

--with-libraries=/usr/lib/:/usr/local/lib/
--with-includes=/usr/include/:/usr/local/include/

seems to work. PostgreSQL 8.3beta2 compiles without showing xml-related
problems; I even peeked inside the Makefile to see if everything looked o.k.
-- it does, AFAICS. Haven't found the time to test the installation, though.

However, I'm using a different setup! I assume you are using the binary
package from here: http://www.explain.com.au/oss/libxml2xslt.html.

Instead of following the framework-approach you are referring to, I compiled
and installed both the libxml2- and libxslt-libraries myself and put it to
/usr/local. This leaves OS X's built in libraries untouched, and it gives
you enough flexibility to use common *nix software more or less out of the
box. (No Darwinports or Fink stuff or whatever involved on my side, only
Apple's Xcode tools...) libxml2-2.6.30 works well with Perl and xml::libxml,
as well as with R and the associated XML-package, and it doesn't seem to
break anything, so in general this strategy works on OS X.

On a related side note: configuring pg8.3b2 with a libxslt other than the
system library in /usr fails on OS X, due to the fact that configure doesn't
give us a XSLT_CONFIG variable ...

Hope this helps, please keep us informed.

Joerg Beyer

> ./configure --with-libxml does not accept a location argument. This makes it
> impossible to configure 8.3 with LibXML on the Mac, because I can't upgrade
> the main libxml without breaking something, and ./configure doesn't let me
> specify an alternate location.
>
> --with-libxml should accept a library location.
>
> --Josh

Jörg Beyer
PHILIPPS-University Marburg
Dept. of Psychology