Upgraded from Leopard to Snow Leopard - PostgreSQL won't start anymore

From: Matthias Dietrich <rainboxx(at)googlemail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Upgraded from Leopard to Snow Leopard - PostgreSQL won't start anymore
Date: 2010-01-04 21:17:23
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

some weeks or months ago I upgraded my Mac from Leopard to Snow Leopard. Because I needed to work a long time remote I didn't use my local dev system and found it broken now. First of all I've got the following error message in my log:

FATAL: could not create shared memory segment: Invalid argument
DETAIL: Failed system call was shmget(key=5432001, size=4374528, 03600).
HINT: [...]

After setting the value of shared_buffers from 2400kB to some lower (eg. 2000kB), the messages goes away but the following appears:

FATAL: incorrect checksum in control file

I guess this is because I upgraded the OS without dumping the database before. And now I'm stuck. I found many pages that suggests to make a pg_dumpall with the old database and the new pg_dumpall version. But I (really) don't have the old system anymore and I guess it's impossible for me to get it from somewhere. What can I do? How can I dump the data from the 32bit database? Does someone has built a postgres binary for this issue?

Thanks in advance,
Matthias

--
rainboxx Software Engineering
Matthias Dietrich, Freelancer

rainboxx | Mobil: +49 (0) 151 / 50 60 78 64
Königsallee 43 |
71638 Ludwigsburg | WWW : http://www.rainboxx.de

XING: https://www.xing.com/profile/Matthias_Dietrich18
GULP: http://www.gulp.de/profil/rainboxx.html