Re: Bad RAID1 read performance

From: "Luke Lonergan" <llonergan(at)greenplum(dot)com>
To: "Albert Cervera Areny" <albert(at)sedifa(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bad RAID1 read performance
Date: 2007-05-30 20:13:45
Lists: pgsql-performance

Albert,

On 5/30/07 8:00 AM, "Albert Cervera Areny" <albert(at)sedifa(dot)com> wrote:

> Hardware isn't very good I believe, and it's about 2-3 years old, but the RAID
> is Linux software, and though not very good the difference between reading
> and writing should probably be greater... (?)

Not for one thread/process of I/O. Mirror sets can nearly double the read
performance on most RAID adapters or SW RAID when using two or more
thread/processes, but a single thread will get one drive worth of
performance.

You should try running two simultaneous processes during reading and see
what you get.

> Would you set 512Kb readahead on both drives and RAID? I tried various
> configurations and none seemed to make a big difference. It seemed correct to
> me to set 512kb per drive and 1024kb for md0.

Shouldn't matter that much, but yes, each drive getting half the readahead
is a good strategy. Try 256+256 and 512.

The problem you have is likely not related to the readahead though - I
suggest you try read/write to a single disk and see what you get. You
should get around 60 MB/s if the drive is a modern 7200 RPM SATA disk. If
you aren't getting that on a single drive, there's something wrong with the
SATA driver or the drive(s).

- Luke