Re: Unknown annotation '-cim' in source code

From: Steve Lau <stevelauc(at)outlook(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Unknown annotation '-cim' in source code
Date: 2024-07-04 09:08:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Jul 4, 2024, at 4:33 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org> wrote:

On 2024-Jul-04, Tom Lane wrote:

"David G. Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
On Wed, Jul 3, 2024 at 8:46 PM Steve Lau <stevelauc(at)outlook(dot)com> wrote:
While reading the source code, I noticed comments like "-cim 9/10/89".

It's the initials of the person who, back in 1989, wrote the preceding
comments

Right.

PostgreSQL inherited the code which is when our git history begins. This
comment was part of the original source.

We lack any source-code-control history before 1996, so there's no
way to be sure who wrote that, unless you can identify some Berkeley
Postgres person with those initials.

Actually, somebody (thanks, Stas) set up a Github repo of the old
history here:
https://github.com/kelvich/postgres_pre95
There you can find commits like this
https://github.com/kelvich/postgres_pre95/commit/0bf22e7dbb09b68b6e4c34dccc1440ebe98f8049
where tons of "- cim" comments were introduced. Unix account name was
"cimarron". You can go on from there if you want, but why?

--
Álvaro Herrera Breisgau, Deutschland — https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/<https://www.enterprisedb.com/>
"But static content is just dynamic content that isn't moving!"

Thanks for the reply from both you guys!

I really appreciate the link to that pre95 repo, and

> You can go on from there if you want, but why?

I would say I love history stories, but yeah, I agree that it does not mean too much nowadays.

Best regards, Steve Lau.