Re: pgAdmin preBeta4 - results

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: George Pavlov <gpavlov(at)mynewplace(dot)com>, Harald Armin Massa <haraldarminmassa(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgAdmin Support <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgAdmin preBeta4 - results
Date: 2006-10-25 18:33:26
Lists: pgadmin-support

On 25/10/06 17:46, "George Pavlov" <gpavlov(at)mynewplace(dot)com> wrote:

> pgAdmin v.1.6 beta 3 (5508:5517) has been good for me so far. all the issues i
> had with previous versions seem fixed and i can't find new ones ;-) good job,
> dave!

Thanks - and thanks for the feedback!

> i am still a bit bummed about two of my biggest pgAdmin pet peeves not being
> resolved (no distinction between a NULL and a zero-length string in the grids

Err, the edit grid has always distinguished between them - from
http://www.pgadmin.org/docs/dev/editgrid.html:

If an SQL NULL is to be written to the table, simply leave the field empty.
If you store a new row, this will let the server fill in the default value
for that column. If you store a change to an existing row, the value NULL
will explicitly be written.

And

If you want pgAdmin III to write an empty string to the table, you enter the
special string '' (two single quotes) in the field. If you want to write a
string containing solely two single quotes to the table, you need to escape
these quotes, by typing \'\'

The grid displays blank for null or '' for empty string, just as you would
enter. I grant you that I don't think the query grid does differentiate -
I'll bung that on the roadmap.

> and the loss of clipboard after closing the app), but we will wait patiently!

I didn't realise it did lose it. I'll add that too.

Regards, Dave