Re: Adding foreign key constraints without integrity

From: Wes <wespvp(at)syntegra(dot)com>
To: Jim Nasby <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
Cc: "Florian G(dot) Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>, louis gonzales <gonzales(at)linuxlouis(dot)net>, pgsql general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Adding foreign key constraints without integrity
Date: 2006-06-23 18:29:09
Lists: pgsql-general

On 6/22/06 2:57 PM, "Jim Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com> wrote:

> If nothing else, you should bring it up on -hackers and ask to have
> this added as a TODO. It seems like a worth-while addition to pg_dump/
> restore to me...

Thanks for the suggestion.

> To answer another of your emails in this thread... a LAZY vacuum of
> the entire database will read every table and index in the database.
> Wanting to read the entire database to check for corruption is no
> reason to do a VACUUM FULL.

Sorry, I misspoke. I do not do a VACUUM FULL. I do a VACUUM VERBOSE
ANALYZE on a weekly basis. The verbose allows me to see which
tables/indexes are getting bad (vacuum time wise). This is currently taking
about 24 hours on a weekend (very little production load competing with it).
The time drops dramatically after a reindex, then creeps up again as the
indexes are updated in random order.

> Also, if you're curious about restore
> time for your upgrade, you should be doing the restore to an 8.1.4
> database, not to your current version. There's been a ton of
> performance improvements made. In fact, I'm wondering if constraint
> checking in restore has been improved...

Yes, that is what I did. I'm in the process of testing an upgrade from
7.3.x to 8.1.4 - export from 7.3.x and import into 8.1.4. Unfortunately,
I'm sitting at about 90 hours when I've got about an 80 hour window on a
long weekend...

Wes