Re: sound index

From: Scott Ribe <scott_ribe(at)killerbytes(dot)com>
To: <nikolay(at)samokhvalov(dot)com>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: sound index
Date: 2006-04-11 17:52:40
Lists: pgsql-general

>> also, i'd be happy to listen opinions from people who have experience
> of usage
>> of such things like soundex.
>

> Soundex is grossly outdated. It was designed for manual use by 19th century
> census takers, and I'm always surprised to see it still used. Metaphone
> (google search gets good results) does a much better job of matching names,
> and double metaphone does even better although having each word mapped to
> possibly 2 equivalents might complicate your logic depending on your
> queries.

I remember now that over the years I found a few places where Metaphone
needed improvement. Double Metaphone seemed to incorporate all my revisions,
so the best approach would be to start with it, and if your system can't
accommodate the notion of multiple equivalents, then just use the primary.

--
Scott Ribe
scott_ribe(at)killerbytes(dot)com