Re: "Upcalls" (sort of) from the database

From: Scott Ribe <scott_ribe(at)killerbytes(dot)com>
To: Don Y <pgsql(at)DakotaCom(dot)Net>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: "Upcalls" (sort of) from the database
Date: 2006-04-06 20:26:27
Lists: pgsql-general

> Ah, OK. More elegant. But, it still moves responsibility for this
> to the application layer, not the database, itself. I can't see
> any way of avoiding this :-(

Sure, I had a similar problem where newer data is required to specify
certain fields, but a legacy application can't provide that data. So there's
a flag, that defaults to false, that when set to true means "I know, I know,
just shut up and insert the data anyway."

The "flag" could be an argument to a stored procedure. In my case it's an
actual column in the table, because I wanted to use check constraints and I
wanted a record of the fact that the entry is "incomplete" because of its
source.

--
Scott Ribe
scott_ribe(at)killerbytes(dot)com