Re: PostgreSQL 17 Segmentation Fault

From: Cameron Vogt <cvogt(at)automaticcontrols(dot)net>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Sean Massey <sean(dot)f(dot)massey(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 17 Segmentation Fault
Date: 2024-10-03 23:41:11
Lists: pgsql-bugs

I managed to get a GDB backtrace of the crash by following instructions in the link you sent me. This backtrace is in the attached zip file along with the output of using EXPLAIN on the query and some other additional information. I figured out that the error goes away when I decrease shared_buffers in postgresql.conf from 4GB to 3GB. I don't have access to another Linux server with sufficient RAM to try increasing shared_buffers like this on a fresh installation. Instead, I dumped my data, deleted the PostgreSQL cluster, created a new cluster, and restored my data. After restoring to a fresh cluster, I still get the same error. As a temporary solution, I decreased shared_buffers. Since the data relevant to the crashing query is from my company, I would rather not share it here. If necessary, I can try sending a subset of the data directly to someone. Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help debug the issue.

Thank you,

Cameron Vogt | Software Developer
Direct: 314-756-2302 | Cell: 636-388-2050
1585 Fencorp Drive | Fenton, MO 63026
Automatic Controls Equipment Systems, Inc.

Attachment Content-Type Size
bug.zip application/x-zip-compressed 14.9 KB