Re: PostgreSQL 17 Segmentation Fault

From: Cameron Vogt <cvogt(at)automaticcontrols(dot)net>
To: Tomas Vondra <tomas(at)vondra(dot)me>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Sean Massey <sean(dot)f(dot)massey(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 17 Segmentation Fault
Date: 2024-10-04 22:17:47
Lists: pgsql-bugs

The query crashes less than a second after running it, so there isn't much time to consume memory or to try attaching GDB mid-query. I tried decreasing work_mem from 32MB to 128kB, but I still get the error. I've also ran vacuum and analyze to no avail. When the query is successful, it only yields 68 rows, so I don't think the row estimates are too far off. I checked the files you mentioned for memory overcommit:

/proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory = 0
/proc/sys/vm/overcommit_kbytes = 0
/proc/sys/vm/overcommit_ratio = 50

The free RAM on the system starts at and hangs around 8GB while executing the crashing query.

The only two things that have fixed the issue so far: Turning JIT off or decreasing shared_buffers. I suppose then that it might be a JIT issue?

Cameron Vogt | Software Developer
Direct: 314-756-2302 | Cell: 636-388-2050
1585 Fencorp Drive | Fenton, MO 63026
Automatic Controls Equipment Systems, Inc.