PostgreSQL flavors

From: Sherrie Kubis <Sherrie(dot)Kubis(at)swfwmd(dot)state(dot)fl(dot)us>
To: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: PostgreSQL flavors
Date: 2016-02-23 15:51:58
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello, my first post to the list, thank you for this place to ask questions and get help.

Our management has tasked me with devising a plan to migrate our existing databases from Oracle to PostgreSQL. I'm researching and getting familiar with PostgreSQL before getting a Linux box to start learning and staging. I have a long way to go, but it will be fun.

Out of the gate, I can see different PostgreSQL products - PostgreSQL, PostgreSQLPlus, EnterpriseDB Advanced Server.
For staging I'll likely start with the vanilla version. I've been searching for a comparison of different product sets; I've found some things, but in other places different information. There is a lot to sift through. For example, we are now using non-active Data Guard to a standby for disaster recovery. What is the different on this functionality in the 3 products? Or perhaps there are more products than I've found. Cost will be a factor for us, but I also consider that costs are not only product and maintenance costs, there are DBA and developer migration costs as well.

Any insights or information is appreciated.

Sherrie Kubis
Sr. Oracle DBA
Information Technology Bureau
Southwest Florida Water Management District
2379 Broad Street
Brooksville, FL 34604-6899
352.796.7211 x4033
sherrie(dot)kubis(at)swfwmd(dot)state(dot)fl(dot)us<mailto:steve(dot)dicks(at)swfwmd(dot)state(dot)fl(dot)us>

Please take a moment to answer a few questions<https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ITB-SWFWMD> and let us how we're doing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE
E-mails made or received in conjunction with the official business of the District are public records. All e-mails sent to and from this address are automatically archived. For more information regarding the State of Florida public records laws, please visit www.myflorida.com.