How to Build NLS Files

From: Mark Hill <Mark(dot)Hill(at)sas(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: How to Build NLS Files
Date: 2022-09-13 19:19:29
Lists: pgsql-general

I'm building Postgres 14.5 on Windows and want to build the nls files that go in share/locale.

According to this page<https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/install-windows-full.html> I need the gettext software:

Gettext is required to build with NLS support, and can be downloaded from http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net<http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/>. Note that binaries, dependencies and developer files are all needed.

I've downloaded the Binaries, Dependencies, Developer files, and Sources zip files from this page: http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/gettext.htm
and unzipped in C:\gettext. Is that sufficient or do I need to build the source and/or anything else?

I'm building Postgres via the msvc tools in postgresql-14.5/src/tools/msvc with the build.bat script. The build succeeds until I try to build
the nls files by adding the following to the config.pl script:
$main::config->{'nls'}="C:/gettext";
my $nls = $main::config->{'nls'};

Anybody have experience with this?

Thanks, Mark