Austin PUG News April 2016 - Please Read and Vote!

From: Debra Cerda <Debra(dot)Cerda(at)bluetreble(dot)com>
To: Debra Cerda <Debra(dot)Cerda(at)bluetreble(dot)com>
Subject: Austin PUG News April 2016 - Please Read and Vote!
Date: 2016-05-04 20:27:47
Lists: austinpug

Hi everyone!

There are several updates and news that we shared at this month's Austin PUG meetup, and we need feedback from more of our members.

Communication -- Mailing Lists

Austin PUG as an associated PUG to PostgresQL

If Austin PUG becomes associated as a PUG to the United States PostgreSQL Association, than our PUG would be covered by their 501(c)3 umbrella. This would allow:

1. Austin PUG (Austin PostgreSQL User Group) to become an Associated User Group

2. Austin PUG will receive donations in accordance with the United States PostgreSQL bylaws.

3. United States PostgreSQL will receive 5% of all donations plus any banking fees, merchant processing fees or corporation fees associated

with Austin PUG.

4. Donations beyond the 5% and fees shall be earmarked for Austin PUG use.

5. United States PostgreSQL shall provide professional services such as book keeping, legal services and technological services as requested by Austin PUG.

6. United States PostgreSQL will register a Doing Business As name of Austin PUG.

This action will allow us to fundraise for local events, as well as support the operations of our group -- currently any costs are covered by individuals or sponsors.

ACTION: Please vote via the Google form linked at end of this email.

Austin PG Day

While at PGConf.US last week, we discussed hosting an Austin PG Day on Friday, November 11. The plan is to have a welcome reception the evening of Thursday, November 10, followed by a full day of sessions on Friday, with a closing party from 6 - 9 pm. Venue TBD, but most likely will be at a hotel downtown. To keep registration costs down, we will be seeking sponsorships and will need volunteers to help with registration and as moderators. A call for papers will be made after we've settled on the core content guidelines.

1. Don't Mess with PostgreSQL -- focus on security, performance, reliability, scalability
2. Things are Bigger in PostgreSQL -- emphasis on PostgreSQL integration with "Big Data" and IoT

ACTION: Please vote via the Google form linked at end of this email.

PostgreSQL Community Booth at OSCON May 16 - 19
We will host a PostgreSQL community booth at this year's OSCON (http://conferences.oreilly.com/oscon/open-source-us) which takes place May 16 - 19, and will need volunteers to help in the booth on May 17 -19. Please indicate your availability via the attached form.

PostgreSQL Community Booth at Texas Linux Fest July 8 - 9
We have been offered a PostgreSQL community booth at this year's Texas Linux Fest (http://2016.texaslinuxfest.org/)
which takes place in San Marcos on Friday, July 8 - Saturday, July 9, and we need volunteers to help in the booth. Please indicate your availability via the Google form linked at end of this email.

Monthly Meetup -- New Location, New Offerings!
Thank you to Jon Erdman for booking meeting space for our monthly Meetup<http://www.meetup.com/austinpug/> at the offices of Atlassian and Bitbucket, on the 16th floor at 303 Colorado Street. Parking at the lot just north of the building at 4th and Colorado was only $7.

Our next Meetup will be May 23rd at the same location, and we will have beer and wine available in addition to our regular soda and pizza offerings. Topic to be announced -- feel free to let us know if you'd like to speak, or have suggestion for topics.

Please fill out the Austin PUG April 2016 Questionaire<http://goo.gl/forms/J4sJco1lwW> at your earliest convenience. Thank you and see you soon!

Sincerely,
Debra Cerda, Co-organizer
Austin PostgreSQL Users Group