Transaction apply speed on the standby

From: Rakesh Kumar <rakeshkumar464(at)outlook(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Transaction apply speed on the standby
Date: 2017-01-26 16:34:05
Lists: pgsql-general

Ver 9.6.1

In a streaming replication can it be assumed that if both primary and standby are of the same hardware, then the rate at which transactions are applied on the standby will be same as that on primary. Or standbys are always slower than primary in applying transactions because of the way replication works.

The reason why I am asking is that I am trying to find what are the circumstances when there can be a large gap between primary and standby in async replication mode.

Thanks