Re: Postgres partitions-query scanning all child tables

From: rverghese <riyav(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres partitions-query scanning all child tables
Date: 2016-01-28 19:51:38
Lists: pgsql-performance

Yeah that would be a pain to have the date_part in each query. Thanks for the info!

Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 00:48:10 -0700
From: ml-node+s1045698n5884581h62(at)n5(dot)nabble(dot)com
To: riyav(at)hotmail(dot)com

On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 1:10 AM, rverghese <[hidden email]> wrote:

Ok, thanks. Thats a bummer though. That means I need a table for every month/year combination. I was hoping to limit it to 12 tables.
Riya

If you wanted to have a column called month_num or something like that, and if *all* of your queries extract the month date_part() in every where clause, then yes, you could have just 12 tables.

But you won't like that partitioning scheme for other reasons:- queries that don't "play by the rules" will be slow- very old data will slow down recent-day queries- no ability to quickly remove obsolete data by dropping partitions that are no longer useful

http://postgresql.nabble.com/Postgres-partitions-query-scanning-all-child-tables-tp5884497p5884581.html

To unsubscribe from Postgres partitions-query scanning all child tables, click here.

NAML