Re: Workaround: Planner preference for tsquery filter vs. GIN index in fast text search

From: "Laurence Parry" <greenreaper(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: <obartunov(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Workaround: Planner preference for tsquery filter vs. GIN index in fast text search
Date: 2014-04-20 05:44:34
Lists: pgsql-performance

> btw, 9.4 should be wiser in case of rare+common terms,
> thanks to GIN fast scan feature.

I'll look forward to it! We have a few other GIN indexes . . .

I don't want to misrepresent my impression of Postgres performance; the only
other case where I've made a significant improvement by tweaking was
pre-checking a couple of tables with count(*) > 0 before using them against
several thousand submissions (checking lists of blocked artists and keywords
against submission details). I've been pleasantly surprised at what it can
handle, especially after index-only scans came out.

--
Laurence "GreenReaper" Parry