Re: Postgresql Hardware

From: Chris Barnes <compuguruchrisbarnes(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: <gil(dot)nunes(dot)resende(at)gmail(dot)com>, Postgres General Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgresql Hardware
Date: 2009-09-11 18:35:16
Lists: pgsql-general

Purchase solid equipment and fairly current machines.

We buy referbished system at a fraction of the cost of new.

For example;

IBM 3650 with 8 x 300g SAS drives and controller, 4 slot dual with the following specs. 16 gb memory.

model name : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5345 @ 2.33GHz
cache size : 4096 KB

This will probably cost ~ between $5000 & $8000

Set the drives up raid 1 and 5 for os/logs and data and global hotspare. Some prefer raid 10 if you have lots of drives.

This should give you 300g for os/logs and 600g for data.

Chris