Does index based on text with 'en_US.utf8' collation support like query?

From: Haifeng Liu <liuhaifeng(at)live(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Does index based on text with 'en_US.utf8' collation support like query?
Date: 2012-12-25 11:37:10
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi,

I found that queries like "select * from tbl where col1 like 'abc%'" will use index only when the col1(and the index) use 'C' collation. If I use 'default' which is 'en_US.utf8' in my database, the equation condition will use the index but like query will not.

I also tried to specify the collation explicitly: like ('abc%' collate 'en_US.utf8'), not work too.

Is that only 'C' collation support 'like' query or I missed something in my sql? Or do I need to install something additional to support index on other collation?

Thanks in advance.