Re: Could use some advice on search architecture

From: Robin <robinstc(at)live(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Could use some advice on search architecture
Date: 2014-04-19 22:58:08
Lists: pgsql-general

Because this is a topic that interests me I have done some digging.

MonetDB <http://www.monetdb.com/Home>is a proper column-store DBMS. It
is used on some decent sized projects, several of which are EU-funded.

Digging a bit deeper I have discovered that a PostgreSQL Foreign Data
Wrapper for MonetDB has been created - monetdb_fdw.

The fdw is written up here
<http://pgsnaga.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/monetdbfdw-postgresql-meets-column.html>

There is a video that shows what happens when a query is executed in
PostgreSQL and MonetDB

The video shows an analytical query being processed

1. Using PostgreSQL - 177 seconds
2. Using MonetDB - 8 seconds
3. Using a remote MonetDB server through MonetDB FDW - 1 second

I think its worth investigating further

Robin St.Clair